Saturday, October 4, 2008

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Norah is a good, smart, and sensitive Jewish girl on the mend from her last relationship. So when she meets a guy in a club in New York who asked her to be his five minute girlfriend, she couldn’t help but kiss him in response. Little did she know that the guy she kissed was Nick, who like Norah, is also on the mend from his last relationship with a girl named Tris, who also happens to be a girl that Norah is acquainted with. In an effort to get over their pasts and on to their futures, the two set off on a journey through New York City. Through music and talks, Nick and Norah get to know each other and find that the people they are supposed to be with is each other and not their ex’s.

Nick And Norah’s Infinite Play List is an intriguing book that’ll keep readers reading through the night. Details in the book are very descriptive and vivid so it’ll feel like the reader is there with Nick and Norah himself/herself. I personally loved all the music in the book. The lyrics that Nick wrote and even the play list at the beginning of the book has some very great songs on it.
This book is definitely not a book for children or even younger teens. I was surprised to find that there was a lot of cursing by the two characters and a lot of mention of sex. Although a great read, I would not recommend this for younger people, maybe when they’re older. I give this book a 9/10.

As everyone knows there is a movie for Nick And Norah’s Infinite Play List out in theaters now. Although I haven’t seen it yet, (and I really want to), after reading the book and seeing commercials for the movie, I’ve found that I like everyone in the cast except for who they cast for Nick. He just doesn’t look like he would be the Nick from the book. However, I guess that the movie won’t be following the book exactly and it might even have a whole different story line, but I guess I’ll just have to wait and see that for myself. So if anyone has read and seen both the book and the movie, please tell me how it is compared to the book. I’d love to know. (Because I probably won’t be seeing the movie until it comes out on DVD.)

1 comment:

Melissa Walker said...

Michael Cera made a great Nick, I think. I know what you mean, but if you take them as two separate forms, they both work--book and movie. Definitely worth seeing!